Sunday, July 26, 2009

Only two hands

I am decompressing after church today and wondering why God only gave me two hands?

Surely he must have known that two would never be enough. How am I supposed to hold a crying baby, keep a rambunctious toddler from getting killed in the church parking lot, juggle two bags, one full of diapers, the other with items that cannot begin to fill the purpose for which they were brought; (that to keep one toddler quiet for 1 hour and 15 minutes), while retrieving car keys from purse, open car doors, put children in carseats with only these two hands.. Surely he must have forseen the need for another set of hands when balancing the 7 month old sitting between my feet on the cold, dirty bathroom tile while helping the toddler do her business on the "big girl potty."

Maybe that is why he sent my visiting teacher to come and "borrow" on of my little ones after the sacrament, so I could listen. It sure makes a difference when someone lends a hand. Maybe that is why God only gave me two, so he could bless my life through someone else's two hands. Or maybe so I could learn to open my mouth, let go of my pride, and ask for help. Hmmmm...something to think about.

7 comments:

Ben and Janelle said...

A funny quote I found about motherhood goes like this, "If evolution works, how come mothers only have two hands?" I immediately thought of it when I read this. Thank goodness for helpers!
~Janelle Belk (aka Dunbar)
www.benandjanelle.blogspot.com

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

That is one good visiting teacher :) She gets my vote of goodness for the day. I can especially relate to making one child sit on the dirty bathroom floor while the other does business...someone needs to invent some sort of second...third...fourth...child holder.

Newman Family said...

I feel for you. I think moms should automatically get an extra arm every time they give birth.

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

While I was reading I was thinking, "Where in the world are her VT's?!" I'm glad they fell through. Good luck! You're doing a great job.

Adventures in Petersonland said...

amen! its so nerve wracking trying to do everything with only two hands! im seriously having anxiety attacks on how im going to juggle 2 kids at the same time while running errands alone.

Anna said...

Good point. It makes me wonder how children ever survive to see adulthood, since mothers can only be in one place at a time. Thank goodness for family and friends who posses a keen eye and willing heart.

Chelsea said...

I loved this Aimee, it brought a tear to my eye! You are such a talented writer as well!